What To Wear To A Kava Bar
What is the dress code at Kava bars? What should you wear to a kava bar?
Whether you’re new to the kava scene or a seasoned kava drinker, it’s important to know what to wear to a kava bar. While there is no strict dress code, there are certain items that are more appropriate than others.
Best Things to Wear to a Kava bars
Kava Bars don’t have dress codes, but certain things are more appropriate to wear to bring than others. Here are the top 5 things to wear to a Kava bar from someone who’s been to them religiously for over 10 years.
- Kava T-Shirt — Walk into any Kava Bar looking like a hardcore Kava Badass. T-Shirts with Kava designs are always a hit and a great icebreaker/conversation starter at any kava bar. They also help you meet other Kava drinkers in the wild and instantly make new friends… or at least get those subtle nods of approval from strangers. Shop for a a Kava Bar Tee today.
- Backpack — Bring a backpack to a Kava Bar is almost like a cheatcode. For one, you can use your backpack to claim your seat at a Kava Bar when you use the toilet, go outside for a smoke or play a game of pool. Secondly, you can equip it with a laptop or iPad, ready to whip out at a moment’s notice or when everyone else pulls out theirs and peer pressure sets in.
- Hoodies/Jackets — It’s always a good idea to bring a light jacket or hoodie to a Kava bar. Drinking Kava can make you feel cold; combine that with certain Kava Bars that blast their A/C to near-arctic conditions, and you get the perfect Hoodie/Jacket wearing conditions.
- Headphones/Airpods — Headphones are an item to bring to a Kava bar as it give you the ability to ignore certain people selectively. If you don’t feel like talking or have work to do, you can just put on your headphones and no one will bother you. Additionally, it’s always good to have a way to listen to music, watch videos or play video games without disturbing others.
- Kava Hat — A Kava-themed hat is a great way to show your Kava pride and keep the sun (or rain) out of your eyes.
Relax. That’s the Kava Bar Dress Code
Kava bars are all about relaxation and kicking back, so you want to be sure you’re in comfortable clothes you can lounge in. Many Kava bar patrons drop by before, during, or after work, wearing business attire or work uniform. However, once they’re in the door, it’s not uncommon to see people change into more comfortable clothing.
As for specific items, avoid anything too tight or constricting. This includes jeans that are too tight or form-fitting tops. You want to be able to breathe easily and relax, so clothing that is too fitted will only make you feel uncomfortable. Instead, opt for looser-fitting garments such as yoga pants, sweatpants, or even pajamas.
In terms of footwear, flip-flops, slides, or sandals are generally the way to go. Kava bars often have a relaxed tropical atmosphere so closed-toe shoes can feel out of place. If you must wear closed-toe shoes, try to find something that is still relatively casual such as sneakers or loafers.
Kava Bar Men’s Clothing
For men, the best bet is to stick with shorts and a t-shirt or a button-down shirt. Again, you want to be comfortable so avoid anything too tight or constricting. A pair of cargo shorts or khaki shorts are always a good option, and you can never go wrong with a classic Kava Tee. If you want to dress it up a bit, you can opt for a collared shirt or a polo. Sneakers or slides are both good choices for footwear.
Kava Bar Women’s Clothing
For women, there are a few more options. You can wear anything from a sundress to a maxi dress, or even a casual skirt and top. Again, the goal is to be comfortable so avoid anything that is too fitted or constrictive. A pair of sandals or flip flops is always a good choice, but you can also wear sneakers or closed-toe shoes if you prefer.
That being said, most Kava bars, have a casual vibe, so jeans and a t-shirt or sweatshirt are usually just fine. You might see some people in more formal wear, but don’t feel like you need to dress up. Just come as you are and you’ll fit right in. Think of Kava bars similar to coffee shops – a place to relax and unwind, not to get all dressed up for.
Exceptions & Special Events
Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. Some Kava bars may have special events or live music happening that might call for a different type of attire. If you’re unsure, just search for the Kava bar on BestKavBar to see if they have any events, or just give the bar a call ahead of time and they’ll be happy to let you know what to expect.
What NOT to wear to Kava bars
- Competing Kava Bar T-Shirts — Kava Bars are growing across the country and some Kava bars are feeling the heat of the competition. Walking into a Kava bar with a competitor’s merch can get you some glares from loyal patrons and staff (I’m looking at you Kavasutra).
- Formal Wear — It’s unnecessary to get all gussied up to enjoy a thikk Kava shell. In fact, most Kava bars prefer a more casual dress code.
- Clothing with Offensive Language/Images — Be respectful of the other patrons and staff and keep your clothing PG-13. Many Kava bars are family-friendly, at least during daylight hours.
So there you have it, a few guidelines on what to wear (and not wear) to your local Kava bar. At the end of the day, just remember to relax and have a good time. Kava is all about enjoying good company and letting loose, so as long as you’re comfortable, you’re sure to have a great time. BULA!
If you have any other Kava bar attire suggestions, please leave a comment below!